There’s a lot to think about before you choose a drug rehab center. For example, you need to consider the kind of programs the facility has available, the expertise of the staff members, and the environment and culture of the treatment center itself. You’ll also want to know how long the program lasts, how much it costs, and if they take your insurance. But these are just some of the questions you should ask before choosing a rehabilitation center. As you search for the right rehab center, you’ll need to ask about so much more; topics like licensing and accreditation, staff to patient ratio, amenities, aftercare support, and lifestyle. The answers to these questions will help you pick the best treatment center for your specific needs. To help, we’ve put together a resource guide listing key topics and questions you need to know before you select an addiction treatment center.
Accreditation is different from state licensing. Accredited rehab centers have gone through an extensive evaluation from an independent third-party organization. During this process, the accrediting organization examines a center’s staff, safety, programs, client care, operations, and policies. The accreditation process also ensures that a treatment center’s staff receives consistent training and that the center is compliant with HIPAA and other privacy laws. The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and the Joint Commission (JCAHO) are the most common accrediting organizations for addiction treatment facilities.
As you first begin to think about choosing a rehab center, consider asking the following questions:
- Does this rehab center have national accreditation?
- When does the accreditation expire?
Treatment Services Provided
After you’ve asked about the center’s accreditation, you’ll want to ask about the type of services the treatment center provides. There are more than 14,500 rehabilitation centers in the United States, each of which provides different types and levels of service. In order to know if a treatment center provides what you need, you’ll need to have a good understanding of the type of work they do.
Some important questions you can ask about the services a rehab center provides include:
- What levels of care do you provide? Inpatient? Outpatient? Both?
- Do you have detox facilities located onsite or do you partner with a local provider?
- Do you provide individual and group therapy?
- Do you offer long-term follow-up and aftercare services? If so, what are they?
- Does your facility offer services such as case management?
- Does each client have access to all the services you offer?
- Can I see client testimonials from alumni that speak about the services you provide?
Addiction Treatment & Medication
Once you have a full understanding of the specific services a particular rehab center provides, you need to take a deep dive into the way they handle treatment, including medication. As you might expect, different centers have different treatment philosophies. To learn more, you can ask some of the following questions:
- What specific treatment programs do you offer?
- What is your treatment philosophy or approach?
- What licenses, certifications, and specializations do the members of your treatment staff have?
- What type of treatment modalities do you provide?
- How long are your treatment programs on average?
- Who develops your treatment programs? Are they customizable?
- Does your treatment rely on the use of other drugs that may be addictive?
- How much therapy do patients receive on average?
- What types of therapy does your facility offer?
- Do you treat dual diagnosis? If so, do you treat both mental health and substance use disorders in-house or do you use a third-party organization to treat mental health diagnoses?
Another key component of a rehab center’s success is its staff. After all, it is a rehab center’s staff who deal most directly with individuals looking to recover from addiction, including you or your loved one. It’s critical that you feel confident in the program staff’s experience, licensing, certification, and specialties. You may also want to know how many clients a program’s staff tends to work with at a time. In order to get a good grasp of a treatment facility’s staff qualifications, we recommend you ask the following questions:
- What is the patient-to-staff ratio?
- What licenses or certifications do the members of your staff have?
- Does the staff specialize in any particular areas or disciplines?
- Which team members will actively assist clients?
- Do you have a patient care coordinator or caseworker?
- Are board-certified clinical staff members available at all times?
- How many years of experience do members of your staff have on average?
Rehab Cost & Insurance
Rehabilitation is expensive, so don’t forget to ask about the cost. In fact, you may want to ask questions about overall fees before you get too deep in your search for a rehab center. Don’t be afraid to ask these kinds of questions directly. Make sure you ask about program costs, payment options, and insurance. Some questions you might consider asking include:
- How much does the overall program cost? Are payments expected monthly? Quarterly? Annually?
- Do you take insurance? If so, which insurance companies do you accept? If not, do you offer any payment plans or sliding scale fees?
- What steps do I need to take ahead of time to make sure my insurance covers this treatment?
As much as addiction is linked to substance abuse, individuals recovering from addiction need to understand equally about the problems and circumstances that trigger and worsen addiction. These can include underlying mental health issues, as well as challenges with healthy lifestyles and outlets. As a result, you want to choose a rehab center that’s going to focus on all aspects of their clients’ health. Many programs refer to this as holistic care. Some common questions about holistic care you might want to ask include:
- Does the program include a nutritional component?
- What kind of activities do you use to promote and encourage your members’ wellbeing?
- Do you offer art therapy, yoga, meditation, or fitness classes?
- Can loved ones visit clients during treatment? If so, when and how often? What additional services do you provide to help clients rebuild healthy family relationships?
Addiction treatment can take time. If you’re checking into a residential rehab center yourself, you’ll want to feel at home. If you’re searching on behalf of a loved one or friend, you’ll want to make sure the environment will help them feel comfortable. Just like you’d scope out a new apartment or home, you should definitely do the same before you choose a rehabilitation center. That’s why we highly recommend you ask questions about residential accommodations, which can include:
- If we enroll in a residential program, will I or my loved one have a roommate?
- What is the environment at the treatment facility like?
- Is there a daily schedule or routine that your clients follow?
- What kinds of items will I need to bring? What items does your facility provide for clients?
- How does the facility monitor the quality of its care? How often is this done?
- Can I schedule a time to visit the rehab center?
Aftercare & Extracurricular Activities
The best rehab centers understand that treatment is only the beginning of recovery. They also know that aftercare and healthy extracurricular activities help increase the chances of long-term recovery. So you’ll want to ask about aftercare activities before you make a final decision on a rehab center. A few questions you might consider asking include:
- What kind of aftercare support do you offer?
- Does your program teach ongoing life skills to support a sober life? If so, what are these skills and how are they taught?
- What kind of transitional living services, if any, do you provide?
- What programs are in place to help your members build connections and maintain a sober network after rehab?
- What does the discharge planning look like for your treatment program?
Offering You Optimal Care
Here at Solution Based Treatment & Detox, we provide our clients with optimal care. We offer a wide range of programs, including drug and alcohol detox, outpatient, residential inpatient, partial hospitalization, intervention, and faith-based recovery. We have 20 different treatment specializations which range from alcohol and prescription drugs to club drugs, opioids, and hallucinogens. We also have a specific program for dual diagnosis concerns and challenges.
Our residential homes are conveniently located in Murrieta, California, a beautiful and serene environment that helps our residents focus on their recovery and wellbeing. We also offer sober living and relapse prevention programs. We host an active alumni association and invite you to read some of our client testimonials that speak to the customized care our clients receive.
Our treatment team consists of a medical director, counselors, a clinical director, and more. They are experts at what they do and yet strive at all times to be kind, friendly, and warm-hearted to every client. They are dedicated to your success and compelled by our goal: to help individuals empower themselves and reach their highest potential.
Call us today at (760) 253-1414 if you or a loved one are ready to begin the journey toward long-term recovery.
We Know From Experience
We have helped thousands of people recover using a solutions-based approach of empowerment and knowledge.
We pride ourselves on creating a warm, relaxed recovery environment where our clients can show their true selves.
On-Site Medical Detox
Medical detox is a critical first step in recovery, which is why we provide supervised medical detox in-house.
Every client benefits from a fully personalized treatment and plan of care, helping them recover and reach their unique goals.